June 19, 2009

Keh Mukarni

My "Archaisms" for Joyelle McSweeney's Issues in Contemporary Poetics class. Had such fun writing these. More on Keh-Mukarni at Caferati.

*

My breath snagged, fell, rose;
heart knocked against the sternum – soft blows.
He pressed against my chest – groped.
Was it a lover? No, girl, stethoscope!

*

His taut skin rippled under my fingers –
I dragged my nails light as feathers
revelling in his rough rine.
Was it a lover? No, girl, lime!

*

Tasted his wide uncouth mouth,
then, buzzed, on the love seat we slouched,
nuzzled – it was unplanned, it was a whimsy!
Was it a lover? No, girl, fifth of a whiskey!

*

I evaluated my satisfaction narrow,
his staying power zero –
still, his love for my exposed body was transparent.
Was it a lover? No, girl, mosquito repellent!

1 comment: